In this episode, Imam Shamsi Ali will discuss the five pillars of Islam, or the five religious practices that form the foundation upon which Islam is built. All Muslims – those who believe in the six doctrines of beliefs discussed in episode 1 – are called to perform these religious rites as practical means to preserve and enhance their faith in the face of worldly distractions and hardship. Namely, these five pillars are:
- Taking the shehada, or declaring that “There is no God but God, and that the Prophet Muhammed is the Messenger of God.”
- Praying the five daily prayers
- Giving “Zakat,” a portion (2.5%) of wealth, to charity
- Fasting the month of Ramadan
- Performing the Hajj, or the pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in a lifetime, wealth and health permitting.